The Body Row Hold exercise is great for strengthening the back muscles. It serves as a preparation for the pull up. It is the isometric version of the Body Row.
How to and step by step instructions:
- Hold the bar with both hands, palms facing forward, a little more than shoulder-width distance.
- Move your feet forward under the bar, and straighten legs and core.
- Bend your arms, bringing the chest close to the bar.
- Stay in this position while you can hold a proper form.
Hints & tips:
- The more horizontal, the hardest is the move.
- Choose a higher bar for an easier variation.
- Put your feet closer to the bar for an easier variation.
- Works all muscles needed for the pull up.
- Strengthen back muscles.
- Very easy to adjust to your fitness level, by adjusting feet position.
Counting & gamification:
- Practice until you can hold one minute still.
- While not in shape for this, repeat the exercise until an accumulated time of 60 seconds.
Muscles worked and body parts involved:
Primary muscles: Shoulder, Upper Back
Secondary muscles: Triceps, Forearms, Chest
The exercise can be found with other names. Examples are:
- Body Row Hold
- Inverted Row Hold
- Bodyweight Row Hold
- Horizontal Pull Up Hold
- Body Row Hold Parallel Bar