Raising your heels is an easy and effective exercise for the calves.
How to and step by step instructions:
- Stand up straight, eventually holding to something.
- Raise your heels until you are standing on your toes.
- Bring down the heels back to the floor.
- This is one repetition.
Hints & tips:
- Calf raises can easily be done in front of the TV, or in the morning when facing the mirror.
- You can hold on a chair or wall for balance.
- Holding weights (bags or dumbbells) will make the exercise more effective.
- Strong calves stabilize your feet and ankle.
- Lower body performance frequently depends on calves, strength them will make a difference.
- Advantage or explosiveness in sprinting.
- Protect knees on jumps, burpees and any impact actions.
Counting & gamification:
- Count repetitions along the day.
- Set a timer for 30secs of calf raises. The next day increase 2 seconds, and consecutively.
- Set a goal for 20 consecutive days, restart counting the days if the daily goal is missed.
Muscles worked and body parts involved:
Primary muscles: Calves