The Circle Push Up consists on a regular Push Up with a circular movement of the shoulders, one side to the other when down, and the opposite when up.
It adds both the shoulder movement and unbalanced weight on arms to the regular Push Up.
How to and step by step instructions:
- Get down on all fours.
- Place hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Straighten arms and legs, keep the core straight.
- Lower the body while placing weight mostly on your right arm. The chest nearly touches the floor.
- Keeping both arms bent, shift the weight to the left arm.
- Extend both arms keeping most of the weight on the left arm.
- With both arms extended, shift again the weight to the right arm.
- Your shoulders are performing a circle or square when seen from the front.
- Adds shoulder strength on top of all upper body activation.
Counting & gamification:
- As a beginner, aim for 10 reps.
- Add the count to the Push Up variants in a period, week or month.
Muscles worked and body parts involved:
Primary muscles: Shoulder, Triceps, Chest
Secondary muscles: Biceps, Abs, Lowerback
The exercise can be found with other names. Examples are:
- Circle Push Up
- Vertical Circle Push Up
- Circle Press Up
- Vertical Circle Press Up