The Crunch is a popular exercise targeting abbs. Helps building a six-pack abs, as well as tightening the belly.
This is a beginner-friendly exercise that requires no equipment and can easily be done at home.
How to and step by step instructions:
- Lie down on your back.
- Plant your feet on the floor, shoulder-width apart and bended knees.
- Put your arms across your chest, or behind your head.
- Inhale contracting your abs.
- Exhale and lift your shoulder blades off the floor.
- Lower back remains on the floor, chest and neck relaxed.
- Inhale and return to the starting position.
Hints & tips:
- Don't pull on your neck with your hands.
- Keep your neck relaxed, this is an abs exercise.
- Perform the exercise slowly, with control.
- Don't crunch to high, this is a subtle movement.
- Keep the tension, don't fully relax on the floor.
- Strengthen abdominal muscles and obliques.
- Strong abs are the foundation of many daily moves such as carrying any object or just raising yourself.
- Also a strong core is a requisite for many exercises.
Counting & gamification:
- Create the habit of doing some crunch-series right after warmup and before your regular workout.
- Get a list of crunch variations, ensure some variation on your daily routine with a rigid number of reps, say 20 than 30 and so on.
Muscles worked and body parts involved:
Primary muscles: Abs
Secondary muscles: Obliques, Lowerback