In order to prepare yourself to pull-ups, the flex-hang is a starting exercise that will strengthen all muscles used when proper pulling.
How to and step by step instructions:
- Step in a chair or box, allowing to grab the pull-up bar with your elbows bent, chin above the bar, and without effort.
- Step forward, keeping the elbows in the bent position and sustaining your body only with the arms.
- Return to the chair or box after holding this position for a few seconds.
Hints & tips:
- You can also jump to the bar but, ideally, use a box or chair to climb on.
- Avoid balancing. Keep your body steady.
- In a lower pull-up bar, say in the door, bet your knees to put all weight in your arms.
- Strengthen your arms, back and core.
- Prepares for a pull-up.
Counting & gamification:
- Count repetitions per day, week or month.
- Add this exercise to the list of Pull-up friendly you use, count them at well as negative pull-ups.
Muscles worked and body parts involved:
Primary muscles: Biceps, Forearms, Hand
Secondary muscles: Abs, Upper Back
The exercise can be found with other names. Examples are:
- Flex Hang
- Flexed Arm Hang