The Push Up with Rotation offers the chest and arm strength of a push up, with an additional effort on the shoulders. It requires stabilization of the core, and works abs and obliques.
How to and step by step instructions:
- Get down on all fours.
- Place hands slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Straighten arms and legs, core engaged. This is the starting position.
- Lower the body, the chest nearly touches the floor as a regular Push Up.
- Pause, then straighten your arms and push back up to the starting position.
- Keep one hand on the floor while raising the other towards the ceiling.
- Bring the raised hand back to the floor and proceed bending both arms for another repetition.
Hints & tips:
- Keet the core straight while raising the arm.
- Added Shoulder Strength, on top of the Push Up benefits.
Counting & gamification:
- Count with every other push up variations.
Muscles worked and body parts involved:
Muscles: Core & Upper body
Primary muscles: Shoulder, Triceps, Chest, Obliques
Secondary muscles: Abs, Lowerback
The exercise can be found with other names. Examples are:
- Push Up with Rotation
- Press Up with Rotation
- Rotational Push Up
- Push Up and Reach