Squat is one of the most common exercises for the quads and glutes. Requires no equipment other than comfortable clothes and allows easily increasing the number of repetitions for increased effectiveness. There are many variants for the exercise. Requires minimal space.
How to and step by step instructions:
- Stand with your feet hip-wide, arms and shoulders relaxed.
- Slightly point you feet toes to the side, no more than 20 degrees.
- Bend your knees until your quads are parallel to the ground.
- While lowering yourself, either join hands in front of your chest, or extend arms horizontally.
- Extend the legs to return to the standing position, again relax your arms side by side.
Hints & tips:
- Training ankle mobility will help this movement.
- Play attention to your back position, while performing the exercise.
- Strengthen lower back and glutes.
- Can be used also as a warmup routine, with a small number of repetitions.
Counting & gamification:
- Count the daily, weekly or monthly moves.
- Because of its null requirements, can be done in any pause while cooking or preparing for the daily hygiene.
- In your workouts, perform 2 to 4 series of 20 squats.
Muscles worked and body parts involved:
Primary muscles: Glutes, Hip Adductor, Quads
Secondary muscles: Lowerback, Hip Flexor, Hamstring